Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Still Life Drawing


The fourth and fifth grade students did a series of still life drawings a few months ago. We set up gourds, bottles, pots, crumpled paper bags, fruit, and balls of string and they practiced drawing from all angles. We talked about positive and negative spaces, shape and size relationships, and we warmed up by blind contour drawing.

When I was in high school, all the kids HATED drawing. Remembering this, we only worked on drawing for a week or two before moving on. But I've recently received many requests for more drawing. I'm kind of excited about this. Starting next week I'm going to give them several drawing exercises and I'll let them work on them at their own pace, in their own order. When we drew last time I was surprised by their deep level of concentration. I'm looking forward to that this time.

No comments: